Friday, October 18, 2013

Interview: Lane Heymont

Today on the blog we have author Lane Heymont. If you're on social media, you might see him tweeting away as himself (@laneheymont) or as The Seymour Agency (@seymouragency). If you're not, then you're missing out!
 
"The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff  by Lane Heymont is an intriguing blend of historical fiction, the occult, and action drama. At times, it reads almost like science fiction ... the climax is intense ... the characters are diverse and the action will keep you engrossed."Grady Jones, San Francisco Book Review 

 
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Book

 
In 1871, the United States government has nearly eradicated the Ku Klux Klan, who they fear will inspire Southern whites to make certain the South will rise again. The Klan's remaining forces have retreated to Louisiana in hopes of escaping the "Northern" government.

Jeb, a former slave, rescues his brother-in-law Crispus from the Ku Klux Klan, only to be drawn into a world of Creole Voodoo, racism, time travel, and redemption. Verdiss, the leader of the Ku Klux Klan has gained possession of the Pharaoh's Staff, a magical artifact from ancient Egypt and concocted a diabolical plan far more insidious than himself. In the end, Jeb and Crispus must stop an entire people from eradication and each find redemption for their own past sins.

Inspired by the slave narratives, Lane Heymont's hypnotic debut novel blends science fiction, the occult, and American history in a gripping page turner that explores the damaging effects of racism and where it can and has led us, but also offers a poignant vision of the healing power of unity when we rise beyond prejudice to fight for freedom, equality, and human dignity against all odds.

Buy Links: Amazon | Barnes and Noble
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Interview
 
1) What was the hardest part of writing The Freedman and the Pharaoh’s Staff?
Definitely all the research. I have an addiction to trying to make things as accurate and realistic as possible, coupled with a love of research; it made for a dangerously long process. I was writing The Freedman and the Pharaoh’s Staff while still in undergrad so I spent all my free time on campus at the school library doing research. I needed the type of meals needed to be accurate, the language too, and especially the political turmoil at the time.

2) Why are you a writer?
R.A. Salvatore once said, “If you can quit, then quit. If you can’t quit, you’re a writer.” I haven’t been able to quit yet. Writing comes natural to me. It’s my go-to thing. If I’m bored, I’ll start writing something even if it’s crap. I don’t know whether I’m trying to work out my own thoughts, living the stories floating around in my head, or if there’s something to say. It might be one, all, or none of those, but all I know is I can’t quit. I couldn’t quit writing The Freedman and the Pharaoh’s Staff and now it’s published!

3) Do you buy books based on the cover or the blurb?
A cover will make me stop and pick up the book, but it’s the blurb that convinces me to open the book and read the first page. Usually, it’s that first page, or paragraph, that decides whether I’m plunking down my money or not.

4) Do you read horoscopes?
Sometimes. I have a love-hate relationship with horoscopes. When I read mine I always find it somehow applies to my life, but that’s probably me looking for a connection between the two. I’m pretty sure if read the wrong horoscope I’d find it applied to what was going on in my life, too. It’s all just fun.

5) Do you prefer ebooks, paperbacks, or hardcover?
I love paperbacks, and it’s scary thinking they may one day fade away, but I most often read ebooks. Though when I’m doing research, I need a hardcopy to study from. There’s something about holding paper filled with information I need to dig through and discover like some old scribe. It just feels easier.


FAST FACTS
1)      Coffee or Tea? Coffee in an IV please.

2)      Morning or night? Night

3)      Shower or bath? Shower, but I like baths when I need to relax.

4)      Laptop or desktop? Laptop.

5)      Summer or winter? I hate the cold, so summer.

6)      Rivers of oceans? Oceans. Deep, unexplored, full of wonders.

7)      Casual or couture? Sometimes casual, sometimes couture.

8)      Champagne or liquor? Liquor. Never liked the taste of champagne.

9)      Cupcakes or ice cream? Cupcakes!

10)  Motorcycle or bicycle? Neither.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Author

Lane Heymont was born in Pennsylvania. He has been a lifelong reader and since graduating from Springfield College with a BA in Liberal Studies with double minors in business and psychology he has focused on writing full-time. He writes historical and fantasy novels with strong connections to real-world issues. His debut novel The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff, a post-Civil War/Occult novel, is available from Sunbury Press. Lane also has a number of short stories published, one of which was recommended for a Bram Stoker Award.

For more information visit: http://www.laneheymont.com.

Connect with Lane:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/laneheymont

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LHeymont


~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Tweetables!
 

Find out what #author @LaneHeymont loves/hates! http://pensandpeonies.blogspot.com/2013/10/interview-lane-heymont.html
 
 
Rivers or oceans? #author @LaneHeymont is full of wonder! http://pensandpeonies.blogspot.com/2013/10/interview-lane-heymont.html
 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 

So what do you prefer? Ebooks, paperbacks, or hardcovers?

xoxo ~Marisa





2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm going to get this one - right down my lane. I agree with the paperback, but unfortunately find myself reading more and more ebooks all the time. Enjoyable interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, T! I appreciate that, and the pun :). As for the paperbacks, it is a shame. I can't help buying ebooks all the time, too. They're just so simple!

    ReplyDelete