Saturday, April 20, 2013

Interview with Brenda Drake

Hi, Brenda,

Welcome to Pens and Peonies! I'm so excited to get to know you better. It's a great time to be a reader, because with blogs and the internet, authors are more accessible to me and my curiosity. I can't wait for your book to release next year, but until then...

How did you come up with the idea for Library Jumpers?

I was in Borders and happened on a coffee table book, The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World. The photographs of the libraries were so gorgeous, I wanted to be in each one. Each held a special magic with amazing bookcases and balconies surrounding the rooms and amazing artwork and sculptures decorating their quiet spaces. I mused, maybe out loud because the lady down the way from me gave me a curious brow, how fun it would be to jump through the page and visit each one. Then, I thought about what kind of dangers could be hidden behind all the dark nook and crannies of the libraries, and my imagination took off.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

Trying to capture the beauty of the libraries on the page without overdoing it. I wanted to describe every detail in every library that Gia and her friends visit but if I did, the story would have ended up being a tome. So I focused on sprinkling details and using only succulent descriptions within the action.

Do you have an agent?

I did have an agent but we decided to part ways. I just accepted an offer of representation with a new agent and will be announcing it soon. I’m thrilled and excited to work with this new agent. His vision for my middle grade novel will take it to the next level. He’s very talented. I’m not good at waiting for Christmas morning, so keeping this secret is driving me a little bonkers.

What is your typical day like?

My typical day starts with coffee and answering emails, reading articles, and doing a little social media. Afterward, I’ll write for a few hours, then take a shower, eat lunch, run errands, clean house, do laundry, or whatever is needed. On days when I have none of that to do, I write. After chores are done, I’ll write some before the hubby gets home and we have dinner. If we don’t have anything to do, I’ll fit some writing in before bedtime. When I’m not living my own life, I’m living my characters’ lives while plugged in to music at the computer.

Fast Facts:

Coffee or tea? Coffee. All day. Any kind. A little Kahlua. Anything goes.
 
White wine or red? Red, preferably a full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon

Cupcakes or ice cream? Ice cream, who? It’s cupcakes all the way. My new obsession is Red Velvet cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting. Yum!

Casual or couture? Casual. I can’t be bothered with couture, the pants are binding. I live in yoga pants and layered tanks with a hoody thrown on top for cold days.

Ponytail or headband? Ponytail. I hate showing my forehead off.

Summer or winter? Neither. I love spring and fall. It’s not too cold or hot and I enjoy watching the changes they bring through the windows surrounding my desk.

 
You can find Brenda here ... 





 
 
Library Jumpers releases February 2014 from Month9Books. Here's the quick glimpse: A sixteen-year-old finds that a simple flip of the page can transport her to the library of her choosing, thus thrusting her into a Mystik world hidden amongst the pages of the library books, where evil abounds, secrets unfold, and mortals are running out of time.


*** GIVEAWAY ***
 
Brenda's book isn't available until next year, so she's giving away another book right here and now!
 

Pretty Dark Nothing
 
 
Thanks for stopping by!
 
xoxo ~Marisa
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment